Is it Netflixes, or Netflixi?

Goose
Intarweb Tubenician

Is it Netflixes, or Netflixi?

Post by Goose » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

So after some prodding, I got myself signed up to a DNS redirection service that allows me to get access to US Netflix (thanks again TBone!). I quickly found, to my surprise, that some items available in the Canadian Netflix were unavailable in the US. I always figured Canadian licensing would just be a subset of US licensing without many outliers, but that was quickly showing to not be the case.

So, for fun, I went through the list of movies I keep for a to-watch list, and checked them all against both Canadian and Netflix, and color-coded the whole schwak. Orange is only available on Netflix Canada, blue is only available Netflix US, and yellow is available on both Netflixes (Netflixi? Netflii?).

Its definitely an odd mix, and an interesting visualization of the complexity of international distribution rights licensing. There's also some odd items, like a couple Canadian films (like War Witch) are only available in the US. Major Oscar winners like Life of Pi and 127 Hours are only available in Canada. Canadian Netflix seems to be better at getting Anime and other Asian imports than the US (Attack on Titan only just finished airing in Japan, Netflix Canada has it, US doesn't, and only Canada has the entire Ip Man trilogy).

So, if you're ignoring Netflix Canada and only trying to hit up the US, there's a good chance you're missing out.
Bruce Dickinson: Not only rocking your socks off, but flying your socks home.
- Rafe

Q: How do you solve a problem like Maria?
A: Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

Spotty
Advanced Member

Re: Is it Netflixes, or Netflixi?

Post by Spotty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm of two minds. I want to say "Netflixes" based on "fixes" or "suffixes," but the singular is a play-on-words of a plural already, which makes me want to say it's "Netflix" either way...

Achærn
Advanced Member

Post by Achærn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm

I use just the browser extension so I 'hot' swap between the two. Browser works fine as it can fullscreen 1080p to the 'Tv' of my choice. I use these sites as a quick reference:

http://can.whatsnewonnetflix.com/
http://us.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

When people ask me why I like Canadian Netflix, Ip Man and other foreign dramas instantly come to mind.

Goose
Intarweb Tubenician

Post by Goose » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Yep, been using the feeds on that site a lot for Canadian Netflix for a while, quite happy they do US too.

I can't switch quite that easily, as I use my Bluray player for viewing on TV, but I still just have to mess with DNS settings and reboot for the same effect.

I was just more impressed that the results of whackass international licensing rights made my spreadsheet look like someone vomited Skittles on the IMDB.
Bruce Dickinson: Not only rocking your socks off, but flying your socks home.
- Rafe

Q: How do you solve a problem like Maria?
A: Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.